MNM – Micro & Nanotechnology in Medicine
About EMBS & MNM
The MNMC is a special topic conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society. The focus is creating technology on the scale of biology at the Micro and Nanoscale level. These technologies hold great potential for diagnostics, therapeutics, enhancement of physiological function, disease management, or early monitoring and prevention. The goal of IEEE EMBS via MNMC is to foster interaction between scientists, engineers, entrepreneurs and medical researchers in the context of real-world medical needs and issues. The Conference promotes vigorous and open dialogue towards groundbreaking solutions to previously unaddressed problems and cutting edge technologies for faster, more quantitative, and less expensive biomedical solutions using advances in Micro and Nanotechnology… in short translating technology from the bench to the bedside.
MNM originated in 2000 as the 1st IEEE EMBS Special Topic Conference on Microtechnologies in Medicine & Biology (MMB) in Lyon, France and chaired by Andre Ditmar. In 2012 the conference was reinvigorated and title was changed to IEEE EMBS Micro & Nanotechnology in Medicine Conference (MNMC) by Ali Khademhosseini, Michelle Kline and Rashid Bashir.
MNM is designed to:
- educate the future biomedical engineers and Electrical Engineers who work in the technical area of Micro & Nanotechnology
- focus on the translation of technology from the laboratory “bench” to the “bedside” to cover micro and nano level research and development to clinical applications, biomedical education and entrepreneurship that will benefit humanity
MNMC is a week-long, biennial conference held in December on one of the Hawaiian Islands. The conference schedule focus’ on an informal approach to encourage participation, presentation of technical research in an open environment with significant networking opportunities.
MNMC welcomes over 300 attendees to engage into “translating technology from the beach to the bedside” for the week. Attendees are:
- Students (high school, Undergraduate & Graduate)
- Biomedical Engineers (both academic and industry)
- Electrical Engineers working in Bio (both academic and industry)
- Mechanical Engineers(both academic and industry)
- Medical Doctors
- Medical Physicists
- Legal Professionals
The spectrum of themes at MNMC include but are not limited to:
- Cellular Technologies
- Regenerative Medicine
- Life Science Research Tools
- DNA Nanotechnology
MNMC is supported by the IEEE EMBS Technical Committee (TC) On Bionanotechnology & BioMEMS. Each TC works with the Conference Organizing Committee and Conference Editorial Board to ensure technical integrity through the peer review process of manuscripts, creation of a dynamic technical program and selection of invited and keynote speakers.